If you have kids in your house, I bet you are discovering the powerful ways in which doTERRA oils and products can support a healthy lifestyle. Perhaps you’re a little nervous to use oils on your kids; maybe you’re not sure if they’re entirely safe for the littles yet? Well, as a mama of 3 who has used essential oils for more than 7 years let me tell you that doTERRA’s products can be wonderful for children. We enjoy them daily in our house. If these products are used with care and common sense, you can safely reap all the benefits they have to offer.
If you are nervous about using essential oils on the littles in your house, here are some things to keep in mind:
1. Essential oils are not novel (aka new) While it may seem like essential oils are just the latest and greatest thing, they’ve actually been used by humans for millennia. Essential oils contain natural plant constituents (active ingredients) that will be recognized by our body systems and handled appropriately. Rest assured that if you use essential oils on your children, you’re not inventing the wheel.
2. Kids are not tiny adults. Remember that oils are potent, and you only need a very small amount to achieve efficacy, especially when it comes to children. A little bit goes a very long way. Adjust amounts accordingly. (see dilution + safety below)
3. Dilute. Kids’ skin is different from adult skin; it’s thinner and generally more sensitive. Even though most oils tend to be non-irritating on the skin (especially on the bottom of the feet, where the skin is thickest), it’s a great idea to dilute essential oil in a good carrier oil before applying to children. You’ll still get the same benefits of the essential oil—you’re just adding extra moisture and pampering delicate child skin. The doTERRA Touch products are great for this, by the way. They’re our favorites!
Here’s a great rule of thumb:
You can also find more information here at doTERRA’s Essential Oil Safety Guide
4. Diffuse. Aromatherapy is an excellent way to enjoy the benefits of essential oils without the worry of skin reactions. Inhaled oils have long been studied for their ability to enhance feelings of relaxation, encouragement, excitement, focus, and well-being. Additionally, diffused oils may support a healthier indoor environment. That’s always a bonus when you’ve got a houseful of kids especially during the school year! We have LOVED finding creative ways to enjoy our oils! Here’s a fun DIY: Aromatherapy Playdough to try!
5. Oils FOR kids, not BY kids. The labels on doTERRA’s oil bottles remind us to keep them out of reach of children. Kids tend to not understand the potency of the essential oils— they only know that these lovely bottles smell divine, and may go overboard in using them. Adults should always be there to monitor essential oil use with their children.
6. Be informed. doTERRA has loads of information about safe usage of essential oils on their websites. There’s an entire team of support staff who answer questions about essential oils and products (just email email@example.com). And don’t be afraid to chat about oil usage with your family doctor or pediatrician— medical professionals like having a holistic picture of their patients’ health situation, and they have access to other medical literature that can help guide your decisions.
Not sure where to start? Here are some of the favorite doTERRA products in our house, and ways they can be used with children.
doTERRA Kids Line is the complete and ready-made “whole body” essential oil toolbox designed to empower parents and caregivers to confidently care for the health and wellness of little ones. Formulated specifically for developing minds, bodies, and emotions, these essential oil blends feature unique combinations therapeutically balanced to provide powerful benefits while being gentle on delicate skin.
doTERRA Touch Line These products are awesome because they come pre-diluted. Young skin is different from adult skin—it’s thinner, more delicate, and generally more sensitive. It’s a great idea to dilute any essential oils before applying them to children, and this kit takes the mess out of dilution.
doTERRA OnGuard Line We love all the products containing doTERRA OnGuard, and they are very kid-friendly. The toothpaste is wonderful. My kids enjoy the taste and I enjoy that it’s not full of chemicals that even I can’t pronounce. The cleaner concentrate makes the cleaning fresh and I don’t have to worry about toxic residues. And, of course, we diffuse doTERRA OnGuard like it’s going out of stock during the winter months.
doTERRA Spearmint softer than peppermint, this oil brings deep breaths to any overwhelming situation. The kids almost always choose this one to diffuse in their rooms while I’ve asked them to clean. Ha!
doTERRA Balance This blend has done wonders for our family. A nice massage with this oil (diluted and applied to soles of feet) helped everyone feel relaxed and grounded for new situations, before school, or before bed. We often pull it out during mediation and yoga as well.
Yes, we live doTERRA in our house. It’s fun to see my children starting to understand which oils might be good in various situations and asking for them as needed. They’re learning to be in charge of their own health while actively looking for natural ways to support their well-being. I LOVE it!
Ready for even MORE support?!
Enroll with a Basic Collection or Kids Line and receive:
Customized 90 Day Wellness Plan
Essential Oils and Children eBOOK
You’ll be scooped up by some of THEE MOST incredible oil mamas and
community I know + you’ll have me every step of the way!
Here's my Favorite Collections to help Mamas get started!
Equip your tool belt with the Basic Top Ten Oils of:
Melaleuca (Tea Tree)
Kids “Body, Mind, Soul” Collection
This Whole Body Support Contains
Six unique 10mL roll-ons:
doTERRA Touch Line
With nine of our most popular oils in a base of Fractionated Coconut Oil, the doTERRA Touch Kit combines the best benefits found in essential oils, with the goal of protecting sensitive skin. This collection contains:
I wish you well mama! Shoot me an email at sammyrowlette@ohthereyouaredotcom if you need any help deciding! Or, connect on Instagram and send me a DM!